11 November 2013

Blogging Tips | Design and Photos

This is the 2nd post in this series of Blogging Tips that I'm doing. If you haven't read part 1 (Setup for photos and videos), you can do so here. Just to be clear, I am in no way any kind of blogging expert/pro/or what have you. I'm just a girl that likes to type my feelings out onto the internet and share them with my lovely friends. :)
With that being said, I frequently get asked for tips and advice on blogging, and instead of addressing each person one by one, I thought I'd just make a post about it. So this, is for all you curious folk who want to know what I look for in a blog, including the things that make me want to stay or exit right away. Please don't take offense at anything I say. What I like may not necessarily be what you like, and that's ok! We're different, and that's cool!

Blog Design and Features
Music. When people have music set to autoplay once their page loads, it scares the hell out of me. I'm usually wearing headphones that are set to pretty loud, and when you don't expect something like that to happen, it's quite a... surprise. I always click out, and usually never go back, unless I forgot about it. 

Colors. I normally like a theme that is easy on the eyes. I have quite sensitive eyes, since I am half blind, and I need things to be fairly easy to read. I like a good light colored background with darker text. Sites with dark backgrounds and lighter/brighter texts usually hurt my eyes, but if you do see me coming back, it means that I really like you :).

Fonts. Again, I like a page that's easy to read - nothing that looks like another language, unless it is another language. Also, fonts should be at least 12px, otherwise it's too small, and I have to squint, giving me a headache, so I'll probably never try again. Also, if there are too many words and not enough photos, I tend to run away. But then, that really depends on the topic. 

Header. Headers don't usually bother me unless I can see the edges of it. Normally, headers should be transparent. To make your header transparent, it'll need a white background, make it transparent in photoshop, and it must be saved as a .PNG file. 

Layout. A good simple layout works best. Your main post area should take up most of the screen space. One sidebar is easier on the eyes than two. When laying out your sidebar, be sure to put the most important and relevant items at the top (your face, about you, social media, search, popular posts) followed by the less important items such as your ads. Yes, ads are least important, because people are on your page to read about you and your blog. If they happen to be curious enough to look at the ads, then that's a good thing! 

Photos. This is a big one for me. I like to see big, clear, color-correct photos. I'll give you an example: Which of the photos below would you rather look at?
This photo is blurry and too small.
 This photo is too dark, and obviously translating the wrong colors off the palette.
This photo is lit much better (could be better, ha!), large enough for the half blind peeps, like me, to see, and the colors translate well. Hopefully, you chose the third photo! 

So that was my tips for blog design and photos. Hopefully, someone found that useful, haha. Like I said, what works for me or what I like may not necessarily be the same for you, so experiment and see what works. My blog is always changing, and I'm always trying new things. I'm never satisfied, because I know it can be better. 

What turns you on or away from blogs? I would LOVE to know! :)

Like what you see? Follow me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I try to respond to all comments, but you can tweet me too for faster communication :). I love talking to you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40051127-1