Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, and what better way to celebrate than with a delicious batch of chewy brown butter chocolate chip cookies! BUT, these aren't your average chocolate chip cookies. No, ma'am. These are made with the most delectable ingredient known to mankind - Brown Butter.
What is brown butter, you say? Well, brown butter is butter that you heat up on the stove until it turns a rich, caramel color and smells sweet and nutty - kind of like hazelnut. This stuff is dangerous. Beware of the urge to drink it straight from the pan. :) Okay, enough diddle daddle - on to the process of making these delicious treats!
First, you'll want to brown your butter, like so.
Set that aside to cool and move on to creating the cookie dough.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt (optional) in a bowl and set aside.
Next, combine brown sugar, white sugar, and brown butter. Mix until smooth.
Add in eggs and vanilla, and mix well.
Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients.
Add chocolate chips!
Cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for 30 minutes. After chilling, scoop out a tablespoon of dough and roll into balls (roll in extra chips, if desired), and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes, until edges are firm and starting to brown.
I like to make my cookies with just a few chips, but feel free to load 'em up!
BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Prep time: 15 mins + 30 mins chill time
Bake time: 12 mins.
1 cup salted butter (can use unsalted)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or any kind of chips!)
1/2 tsp. salt (if using unsalted butter)
- Cut butter into pieces and place in a saucepan over medium heat until browed. Whisk frequently. Let butter brown and then remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt (optional). Whisk together and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine brown sugar, white sugar, and browned butter and mix until smoothly blended. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Blend well.
- Add in dry ingredients and fold until mixed well. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
- Scoop out dough (1 tbsp.) and roll into balls, placing them onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Keep them 2 inches apart to keep from sticking to each other.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges have set and started to brown.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, let cool for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to a cooling rack.
- Let cool, and EAT!