09 September 2013

Job Interview Tips and Outfit Inspiration

If you follow me on Twitter, you'll know that I've been having job interviews for the past month or so. I say interviews (plural, more than 4), because I'm honestly THE WORST interviewer. Ever. I always forget my words, I tend to make up stuff as I go, because I forget what I needed to say, and it just ends up a horrible mess. I practice A LOT. Still, my nerves always get the best of me, no matter what I do.

Why? Because of the kind of person that I am. I'm shy, reserved, and I'm terrified of people. Why? Because I've had experiences that I still can't shake off. I don't like talking to people I don't know. They scare me, especially if it looks like they don't even want to be in the interview themselves.

I'm not like everyone else who can just BS their way through an interview. I'm honest and to the point. I don't BS well. I apply for jobs that I truly want, but it doesn't translate well, because the interviewers are making me talk my way into proving how much I want the job. Put me to work, and I'll blow your mind. Or I'll at least get the job done.

I've learned a few things from my past interviews, and I want to share them with you in case you're going through the same thing. I know there are a lot of anxiety ridden bloggers out there, like myself. I hear you, and I promise you can do this. Even if you can't get the job, you can at least get through the interview. 

Little Interview Tips
  1. Be yourself. Don't even try to hide it. It'll come out whether you want it or not. May as well flaunt your awesomeness. Don't lie, because that will come out too.
  2. Practice those typical interview questions (Tell me about yourself, major strengths, weaknesses, why do you want to work here, why should we hire you, what would you do in a stressful situation, etc.). Write down your answers, and practice until your teeth bleed (not really). Just practice. Say it in front of the mirror, your children (this is what I did, haha), your dog, your cat, anyone. Practice in front of something with eyes, and stare those eyes straight in the pupils.
  3. Tell them why you are the BEST fit for their company, and what YOU can do fro THEM. Don't let them think that you're only applying for the money or using them as a stepping stone for that better job. Don't do it. No one wants to feel used. 
  4. Dress nicely, but don't dress like you're going to a club (unless you're interviewing for one). Also, don't show any cleavage, or anything above your knees. You might be interviewing with women, and the last thing you want is to make them feel threatened or that you're going to be the new competition. Keep the makeup minimal and natural, but use SOME. Throw your hair in a bun and out of your face. SMILE!
  5. If you don't get the job the first time, or the second or third or fourth (like me), don't worry. Practice makes for a better interviewee. Learn from your mistakes. Even if you think it went really well, maybe the job really wasn't right for you. Try again, and don't give up. Don't ever give up. 
Outfit Inspiration


Like what you see? Follow me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting! I try to respond to all comments, but you can tweet me too for faster communication :). I love talking to you all!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-40051127-1